The Leicester Model Railway Group was formed at a meeting held on February 15, 1949, at the Martyr’s Church hall, Westcotes Drive, Leicester.

The first committee meeting was held on April 30. The subscription was set at 10/- for adults and 5/- for junior members.  This was to stay unchanged until 1965.

The first clubroom was in the loft at the rear of Mr R Pepper’s shop in Church Gate (Apex Craft).  It was here, on April 17, 1952, that the group held its first ‘track night’.

“Over the next 60 years, the group has had six more clubrooms – Knighton Fields Road 1952-65;

Western Road Adult School 1965-68;

Halford Street 1968-70;

Church of Christ, Melbourne Road 1970-80;

St Andrew’s Church, King Richard’s Road 1980-98;

and our present one at Cossington, which was opened on June 16, 1999.

The Leicester Model Railway Group has, as far as we know, been the only model railway club to organise a week-long exhibition.  These shows were held at the Boot & Shoe Trades Hall in St James’ Street, Leicester.

These used to attract between 4,000 and 7,500 visitors.

If you can help with our search for photos of those events, please contact our secretary Brian Gillespie on 0116 284 8684.

After 1975, the exhibition was held at various venues in the city and county.

Our last exhibition was held in 2015 at the Humphrey Perkins School, Barrow-upon-Soar.

Our 70th-anniversary exhibition of members layouts and photos will be open from 10.30am to 5pm on August 17th 2019 and 1pm to 4pm on August 18th 2019 at St Margaret’s Church, St Margaret’s Street, Leicester